Nurse Extern - Medical Oncology - Full Time - Days Jupiter Medical Center - Jupiter, FL
Company: Jupiter Medical Center
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Jupiter Medical Center is reimagining how to restore the
community's health and wellness. Award-winning physicians,
world-class partnerships and innovative techniques and technology
enable Jupiter Medical Center to provide a broad range of services
with specialty concentrations in cardiology, oncology, imaging,
orthopedics and spine, digestive health, emergency services, lung
and thoracic, women's health, weight management and men's health.
Our medical center consistently performs in the top 10 percent of
hospitals for patient quality and satisfaction and has earned the
highest rating in the region for quality of care.
- The Nurse Extern is a member of the nursing team who
contributes to the comfort and wellbeing of the patients by
performing specifically assigned tasks and works under the
direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) within her /his scope of
- Our staff have the responsibility, accountability, & authority
to provide Safe Passage for our patients and families by utilizing
the six dimensions of Relationship Based Care: Resources, Teamwork,
Care Delivery, Outcomes, Professional Practice and Leadership.
- Our model of shared decision making provides a structure for
team members to drive practice decisions that impact the practice
environment and patient outcomes starting at the unit level and
ultimately throughout the medical center. Participation and
collaboration are encouraged and supported.
- Our enterprise-wide decision system, the JMC Pathway, provides
the structure, methodologies and tools needed to support objective,
data-driven decision making. The Pathway delivers excellence
always, to both our physicians and customers, by maximizing the
value generated from every hospital process and function. Team
member participation, support and active use of JMC Pathway
concepts and tools are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Nurse Externs perform duties under the direction of RN/CNA dyads
including the following within the context of JMC policy and
- Assists the registered nurse (RN) in the practice of
professional nursing by providing direct patient care to promote
patient comfort and facilitate the performance of diagnostic and
treatment procedures as outlined in the nursing care plan.
- Assists the RN with the patient's activities of daily living
according to the needs of the patient in a timely manner, following
- Performs designated procedures as needed by following
- Accurately observes, records, and reports to the RN all patient
concerns, symptoms, reactions, and progress in a timely manner.
- Assists the RN with examinations and procedures according to
- Demonstrates competency in basic and intermediate care skills
as verified and validated by nurse mentor, clinical preceptor,
nurse manager and/or nurse director. Assists the RN with procedures
defined by the advanced skills inventory.
- Demonstrates competency in those skills identified on the
skills inventory that may be carried out independently.
- Demonstrates competency in those skills identified on the
skills inventory that may be carried out under direct supervision
of a RN.
- Educates self effectively and assists in peer education. Seeks
educational opportunities to increase competence. Attends staff
meetings and unit in-services as applicable.
- Collaborates with other unlicensed assistive personnel to meet
patients' needs on their unit.
- Utilizes effective communication techniques that are inclusive
of the patient
- Assists the RN with indirect care by maintaining clean,
sanitary, and safe equipment and care environment, to prevent
and/or control infections and to provide for safety of patients,
visitors, and employees.
- May act in the role of a sitter for a patient as assigned by
the charge RN.
- Other related duties/ projects as assigned.Nurse Extern Skills
Clinical skills are divided into basic, intermediate, and advanced.
Nurse externs may perform basic skills independently once
competency has been demonstrated and documented appropriately.
Intermediate and Advanced skills will be covered at the
judgement/discretion of the precepting RN, based on the knowledge,
aptitude, and skill level demonstrated by the nurse extern.
- Promote a supportive healing environment
- Ambulate patient
- Position patient
- Assist with Range of Motion (ROM)
- Give back rub
- Dress patient
- Feed patient
- Make unoccupied bed
- Obtain vital signs
- Obtain height and weight
- Perform oral hygiene
- Bathe patient
- Proper use of patient bed (alarms, weights)
- Transport patients and items
- Maintain Safe Environment
- Document VS, O2 Sat, and I/Os
- Take report
- Collecting urine specimens (random and clean catch)
- Collect stool specimens
- Assess for pain
- Participate in purposeful hourly rounding
- Prepares room to receive patients by setting up necessary
equipment and ensuring room is neat and clean.
- Operate converter chair, lifts, scales, stretchers, and
Intermediate skills - the nurse extern may perform these skills
under direct supervision of nurse preceptor once competency has
been demonstrated and documented appropriately.
- Perform chest PT
- Apply binders, TED stockings, compression stockings, SCDs
- Check NG/OG placement
- Post-mortem care
- Assisting patients with oxygen therapy
- Monitor IV infusions
- Administer enemas
- Perform finger sticks for Accuchek
- Place and manage soft restraints
- Recognize s/s of peripheral line infiltration
- Evaluate skin break integrity
- Collect patient data
- Provide patient education on topics cleared by precepting
Advanced Skills - the nurse extern may assist precepting nurse with
these but may not perform them independently.
- Develop nursing diagnosis
- Admission and discharge process
- Oral and tracheal suctioning
- Dressing changes-clean/sterile
- Foley catheterization
- Colostomy/ileostomy care
- Continuous and intermittent bladder irrigations
- Insert NG/OG tube and check placement
- Care for patients with chest tubes
- Obtain supplies for bedside procedures
- Open sterile supplies
- Care for patients on traction
- Access hospital-paging system (call rapid response, code
- Give report
Document all care/interventions provided independently within the
scope of an unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Current enrollment in accredited nursing program with
completion of first semester including fundamentals of nursing
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant licensure in the state of
- American Heart Association BLS, for Heath Care Provider.
- Two letters of recommendations from a nursing school
instructor, one may be from employer.
- For each subsequent semester, she / he must provide evident
(transcript, grade report) of continued enrollment and progress
toward graduation as a nurse.
- An employee may remain a Nurse Extern for a maximum of two and
Keywords: Jupiter Medical Center, Jupiter , Nurse Extern - Medical Oncology - Full Time - Days Jupiter Medical Center - Jupiter, FL, Healthcare , Jupiter, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!